Thursday 17 May 2012

Skyfall Cometh

Bond in Biro
The new Skyfall trailer is out in a matter of days and I find myself sat on the horns of a dilemma: do I watch it?

It's a no-brainer, right? Big Bond fan + new trailer = happy Bond fan. Simple? No. Not simple at all.

I've anticipated Skyfall ever since walking out of the cinema after the wannabe-video-game that was Quantum Of Solace, deflated beyond measure. They have to do better next time, I thought.

And the omens for this one are excellent: Sam Mendes, Javier Bardem, Shanghai and Istanbul filming locations, and of course, Dame Judi.

But there's a nagging feeling in me that I shouldn't see ANY of it before October 26th.

I want the full film to speak for itself, untainted by what some marketeer has deemed the best bits several months before.

I've already come across spoilers online accidentally and what better way to preserve the purity of the end product than by drawing a line now and avoiding the trailer.

So I've done a list...

FOR WATCHING THE TRAILER:
  1. It'll be exciting
  2. It's a fucking new Bond film trailer
  3. It'll be too hard to avoid it
  4. Don't be so contrary, you idiot
AGAINST WATCHING THE TRAILER:
  1. I want to judge the film in its entirety
  2. Everyone in my Twitter feed will be talking about it
  3. Tired cliche: "they only put the best bits in the trailer"
  4. Don't be so contrary, you idiot
I'm still no nearer a decision. I've got the weekend to mull it over.

My thinking right now is that I will try to avoid the trailer.

But, come Monday, how long will my resolve last...?

No comments:

Post a Comment